Got a one word letter from a man
who shouldn't have sent me a letter at all.
FECUNDITY -
didn't know what it meant,
but it dirtied me.
Instead of looking it up, I looked over my shoulder.
Blog Archive
-
▼
2014
(273)
-
▼
August
(27)
- Mother River
- Hiway 9
- Hundred Mile Wild
- First Trip To The Beach
- Stoplight
- Baby Me
- Directions For A Photo Album
- Fecundity
- Unfolding
- 8 Shades Of White Girl
- Class Of
- Jane Q. Poet
- Constellations
- A Very American Sentence
- The Rancher's Widow Hires A Hand
- Husk
- Bastet
- Where I Am Not
- Where Night Falls
- Alas . . .
- Never Was
- Shadows
- Friend Fishing
- Indian Summer
- Orbit
- Sundial
- Ishmael And Isaac
-
▼
August
(27)
Sunday, August 24, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
7 comments:
Oh my, that IS a haunting word. I wish someone had sent me that letter years ago so that I'd have known to watch out for my excessive fertility ... yet here I am, four children later. ;)
I suppose the other sort is quite a compliment, though. And you are certainly fecund. The beauty in your work is how very sharp it is in so few words. Admirable indeed.
I love this line: "but it dirtied me" ... You see what I mean? Sharp, but short. You crack the whip.
I would, too.
Creepy.
Cool poem
about a world too late,
whether curse or wish.
I like what Mood said. You *do* crack the whip. Words seem to be your personal tigers.
You never fail to amaze me and, yes, I do believe words are your personal tigers, too! Have a great week!
I could feel the urge to look over a shoulder. Great write.
One can never know! Rightly said!
Hank
While with many words in our language, there is more than one meaning, I would go with the main one which the recipient could take as a compliment. "Intellectually productive."
But this does remind me of creepy phone calls from a self-professed secret admirer. Every man I passed on the street became the perpetrator. That's what preying stalkers do to women: take away our freedom of movement and sense of security.
Post a Comment