Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cage Wide Open

When I've unraveled every yarn
and stunned the voices silent;
when I can take my place
in the kitchen or as queen;
When I own all my deeds
and every word that I have spoken,

I'll be birdsong
with the cage
wide open.

When I can choose direction
or crush the compass in my fist.
When I can vandalize the garden
in honor of my sister Eves
and finally hold an apple
with its skin unbroken,

I'll be birdsong
with the cage
wide open.

A bit of a nod to Miss Maya for Shay's word list prompt at Real Toads

13 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I love this, Kelli.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Yeah! I love that chorus - this is like the thinking woman's response to Kipling's 'If'.

Unknown said...

I read this over and over, feeling the meaning and power. Another strong write asserting a strong woman.

Susan said...

I love this affirmation!

Gail said...

I love this song of freedom, power, and confidence.

Carrie Van Horn said...

A song of liberation and strength...I love the repetition in this...a truly amazing poem!!

Vandana Sharma said...

beautifully done!

Debi Swim said...

Beautiful

Grandmother Mary said...

I love the allusions to Maya- phenomenal woman here, too.

Hannah said...

I'm so glad you chose to repeat the birdsong part!! Powerful write MZ and I love the concept of actually BEING the birdsong. :)

hedgewitch said...

Everything about this is in harmony, balanced, and whole, even the sense of longing and imperfection--not sure how you did that, but it certainly worked.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I love the message of caring and freedom and solidarity.

Anonymous said...

The refrain is gorgeous, and those first two lines...!!!

About Me

My photo
Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor