Blog Archive

Monday, June 30, 2014

Love Angry

I
love
angry

and damn the weakness
that keeps me slinking back to the stick
like a cowed dog
waiting for the driest bone,
the faintest word of praise,
the touch of a salt lick hand.
Damn as weakness
all my fine fetching,
my seven howls,
my traitorous belly
exposed
and quivering
for your fingers.

I love angry,
but you murmur soft nonsense
into my sore silence, and

I heel,
sit,
stay,

and seethe
behind my blunted teeth.

For Open Link Monday at Real Toads

6 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Not too much doubt what the most complicated human relationship is. My own mother was always a pro at the bait and switch; a little honey, a lot of stick. I'll be damned if I'll volunteer to get beat anymore.

Ella said...

Damn, someone needs to heel or heal!
Love and dogs-yes, that sums it up quite well! Stay, no, go, heel and the chase~ I love this poem!

We both wrote about dogs-

Anonymous said...

potent, MZ ~

Susan said...

Reminds me of "The Call of the Wild" which I just reread. And being tamed by love when we're really gods and goddesses. But perhaps one must love angry in order to understand?

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I definitely can relate to this poem. I love the "seven howls".

Sioux Roslawski said...

The whole thing is gorgeous, but "behind blunted teeth" is one of my favorites from this piece.

About Me

My photo
Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor