I have scissors.
I have shame.
I snip a lock
for each thing I'm not
and let my faults fall thick
upon the floor
till I'm surely shorn.
But my mirror tells a different tale.
Instead of skull, thin skinned and pale,
I see tresses thick and black
long buried beneath the veil of lack-
luster borrowed hair I'd wear
to help me hide and disappear.
And (my God!), I finally see
what a beauty I could be
if I could finally free myself
from trying to be like someone else.
A watershed moment . . . for any woman (or man) . . . submitted to Midweek Motif at Poets United.
Blog Archive
-
▼
2015
(204)
-
▼
September
(21)
- Fall Comes To A Football Town
- Language Of A Lost Love
- Above Ground
- Tell Me, Tiger
- Real Surreal
- Hollow Space
- Not Fit For Poems
- Author
- Mary Says
- Toads
- Blue Norther
- Portion
- Confronting My Muse
- Tulsa's Burning Baltimore
- Now Starring On Body Cam
- Herding Stars
- A Lion
- Rejection Letter
- Out In The Cows
- Scissors
- Blur
-
▼
September
(21)
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
22 comments:
Your poem is so touching..! Beautifully executed :D
I would have liked to be there to experience this watershed. I wish it for everyone, especially every woman, but everyone.
Beautiful as always, MZ, and as always, a great way to start my day! Thank you!! Hope your week is going well!!
When it happens, a watershed moment like yours means freedom from whatever society tells us we should be. Great poem.
Loved the naked honesty and ultimately, the self-acceptance.
Wow. WOW!
If only we all could see...
Oh, wow, Mama Zen - but how can you not know you are absolutely gorgeous??????? I relate to the hiding beneath our hair, my bangs are like a sheepdog's, LOL....I resonate with the faults falling to the floor. Very cool.
Acceptance and love of self takes time, I think.
You ARE beautiful, you know. Smiles.
Yes, that's a great watershed moment which hopefully we all come to sooner or later, in our own ways.
You have no idea how special you really are.
ah...to be our own self...beautiful...
oh that cutting locks and shedding, i deeply emphatize with; a soul searching write
much love...
How true this is as we are better at being ourselves than trying to be what we are not.
Holy cow! So short and yet so powerful (and true).
https://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2015-08-20/the-100th-anniversary-of-robert-frosts-poem-the-road-not-taken
I hope you will enjoy.
I've often wondered, at the arrogance, of a person thinking he could think up a better one than he is. I like you just as you are....
these words and concept resonates well within me
Goosebumps. This is such a powerful - relate-able poem, MZ. Well done.
This is a wow for me---
Realizing that we are beautiful in and of ourselves is an important moment.
I love you just the way you are. You have a beautiful mind, heart & soul. (I've never seen your face, but I'm sure it's luminous.) xo
A great revelation MZ - the moment when we can cut away the expectations of other people (how about cutting their hair?)
How very true! So many people never have that watershed moment and die pretending to be someone they are not... Well-penned!
Post a Comment