Numbers never lie.
There is always a deeper shade of blue,
a darker down to the drowning.
Take your typical Saturday night
(the kind you secretly swear
is stultifying your soul)
times the shrill ringing of a phone -
that's misery multiplied.
Or, the grit in your eye,
the blink, blur, blindspot
that comes and goes -
a square root that wends and winds
through cortex and lobe
subtracting sight.
The earth shakes,
but, still, you rotate,
hour added to hour,
day, night, day,
sleep, wake, do it again.
Living
is a curious, tender equation -
unbalanced,
unsolved,
infinite.
Divide.
Multiply.
Subtract.
Carry the remainder.
I'm supposed to be packing for my vacation, so this is a bit rough. I just couldn't leave without working up something for Play It Again (Grapeling's Word List) at Real Toads.
Blog Archive
-
▼
2014
(273)
-
▼
July
(25)
- Girlfriend
- Remainder
- Weird
- Sister To The Sky
- Miss Terri
- Creation
- If We Had
- At The Drive-In
- My Mother's Voice
- This Poem Is No / Because I'm Your Mother / And I ...
- The Other Me
- Quality Control At The Young American Factory
- Yellow Brick Stone
- Stumbling Stair
- Tokens
- Here, The Land
- Mudslide
- The Dinner Game
- Obsessive Compulsive
- Right And Left
- Eagle, Eagle
- These Homes
- Independence Day
- Für Therese
- I'd Rather Be
-
▼
July
(25)
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
15 comments:
Rough? And here I was thinking it's one of the cleverest things you've ever written. Color me impressed.
I'm always impressed by what you write and today is no exception, MZ! Hope you have a great vacation!! Enjoy!
Living is a curious, tender equation - unbalanced,unsolved,infinite.
Your central statement is huge in terms of the mystery we call "the meaning of" - and your extended metaphor is inspired. I wonder who could say it any better than this:
Carry the remainder.
That remainder gets pretty darned heavy some days ... awesome poetry!
Well, your "rough" reads rather smooth.
Have a blast!
I can feel that bed go suddenly lumpy and board-hard--a winding strand of stress and worry in the blood, and the way you used 'rotate' was brilliant. Safe and fun travels, MZ.
Yes, one of your best, kiddo........enjoy your holiday. I so like "Divide. Multiply. Subtract. Carry the remainder."
lovely work here MZ...I echo the cires of those who commented ahead of me, however, I did want to add I really like your line enjam-ment here. How you break each one and carry over to the next gives the sense of dividing, multiplying, and a sense beyond the math. Well done and viva la!
lovely work here MZ...I echo the cires of those who commented ahead of me, however, I did want to add I really like your line enjam-ment here. How you break each one and carry over to the next gives the sense of dividing, multiplying, and a sense beyond the math. Well done and viva la!
If this is rough I'm going to try writing with sandpaper... beautiful. Have a great vaca.
Remainders - I say round up or down - whichever suits you best :) I have never liked math…
Yes, this metaphor is stunning and the poem so very clever.
I'm going to start writing with sandpaper too! ha ha
Math and poetry equal goodness!
I love how cleverly you wrote this-I have to read it again! ;D
Kerry again notes the same phrase I do. Effortless. Gorgeous ~
Have a great vacation ... and loved the poem :-)
Very good. I especially like these:
"a darker down to the drowning"
"the blink, blur, blindspot"
"but, still, you rotate" (double meaning in "still")
"a curious, tender equation"
"Carry the remainder."
That last line makes me want to cry for some reason. Like maybe it has something to do with taking care of a child. What's left to hold onto, what's worth anything at all, is a little one in your arms. To me, anyway.
Post a Comment