There are crowds enough
to tilt the world
for the golden lioness,
young and fair.
But for the aging ewe -
white wooled,
half blind -
only the butcher cares.
For the Birthday in August (Sara Teasdale) at Real Toads. Also submitted to Poetry Pantry.
Sunday, August 4, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
20 comments:
Ouch!
I definitely sense some of Teasdale's disillusionment here, but the idiom is pure MZ.
Wow! Mama Zen! I ♥ this a lot! For many reasons...
Chilling and painfully accurate. Lions and lambs in your hands turn into your characteristic biting brevity.
Young and fair, "world tilters"
the slaughter house looms
ever-so-much closer, the inevitability of it all ~~ damn!
The older one gets, the more one feels that even the butcher is losing interest. Sharp and true to the bone.
Yoiks! Succinct, with powerful portent, as always, Ms Zen!
makes for some fine sausage as well...errr...but in metaphor, i know quite a few that would share the same feel...its a place we all come to at the end of our days...
So true.
sad! Poor ewe! :-(
Only you would move from delicate to dark.
I see you and Teasdale had a sisterly discussion! I love how you blurred her voice with ewe-I mean yours!
woahhh...shocking but true! good poem.
So brutally true MZ ~
oh good lord, i think i just want to go back to bed.
Oh yes, poor old ewe. I know how she feels.
K
not fair, but oh so amazingly written, as always
amazing metaphor.
At least the ewe
will still give wool
but for human life
there's only the scythe!
I'm with the ewe! Love how you channeled Sara while retaining your own voice! Good one!
Utterly, utterly terrific. Teasdale should have been this good.
Post a Comment