Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Owl

"Who?" demanded the outraged owl,
and I
whispered of you.

Feathers fell, autumn, from her breast -
till I instructed
that tears were best

for broken hearts /her talons sharp
as shards
of a fairy tale.

Apart from that day
I can't say
that I've seen you -

it's just as well.

For Midweek Motif ~ The Owl at Poets United

12 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, I really feel this poem, Kelli. The feathers falling like autumn from her breast......the broken hearts....shards of a fairy tale. And that poignant closing. Sigh. Ouch.

Vicki said...

A lovely poignant poem indeed.

indybev said...


The last line is a perfect close for your poem! Well done.

Fireblossom said...

This says enough without saying everything--and that's part of what poetry should be. I really like this.

Sumana Roy said...

"Feathers fell, autumn, from her breast -"...Such a pretty line & poignant.

Brendan said...

Torn, like the throat of a vole, which is proper to the poetic of the owl and that wisdom we don't get to fully name.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Those last four words--wow!

Old Egg said...

I have made friends with many wild animals, birds etc., over my years and despite our differences I loved how we both got on. Building up trust is so important and rewarding. Then one day they are gone.

Susan said...

Fine, indeed, to acknowledge the blood letting of fairy tales. And in case the owl response is truer than tears, it is good to walk away from rage. I love this poem!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Just as well indeed. I am glad owl was outraged for you and yes, tears are best.
Anna :o]

Margaret said...

Words spun golden! Lovely, lovely.

Svenja Froggatt said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. I absolutely loved this poem, the imagery was beautiful. I'll be reading more!

About Me

My photo
Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor