The second flood is coming; we must gather
them by twos and twos against the rain.
The men of sweat and diesel.
The women with calloused hands.
The makers, menders,
builders, and tenders of fields.
These are our workhorses and hunting dogs.
They can live on mud and remake fire.
Maybe they'll save a few of our worthless kind
with their duct tape and baling wire.
Inspired by Marian's prompt at Real Toads
Blog Archive
-
▼
2014
(273)
-
▼
September
(24)
- To Keep The World Turning
- Mother's Tongue
- Migration
- The Universal Truth
- Telling Time
- Blue Sky Mind
- Why I Clean On Wednesdays
- To
- This Place
- Checks And Imbalances
- Dahlias Dying
- Ceasefire
- Privacy Of A Dog
- Soft Science
- How To Bear The Blue
- Ratna Dweepa
- The Nerd Gene
- How To Serve Woman
- The Dig
- White Dog / Black Dog
- The Second Flood
- Intelligent Life
- Charmed Work
- And Wait
-
▼
September
(24)
Friday, September 5, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
17 comments:
Sounds about right to me, you clever lady!! Have a lovely weekend!
Let's hope they save a couple of poets, too!
To be saved by duct tape and bailing wire.. hmm maybe I don't want to be among the saved...
To be saved by duct tape and bailing wire.. hmm maybe I don't want to be among the saved...
Duct tape hah!!
like they say- "if you cannot fixed something maybe you haven't used enough duct tape!! " ;)
on a farm, you really can fix almost anything with duct tape and bailing wire.
Truly - feels like Mad Max style/setting, to me. Love it!
Maybe.
maybe it'd be better if there's no new boat... ~
Hope so. I used to be a pretty good cook, so maybe I can pass on that. (I don't think my lawyering skills will go for much! Maybe better hide that part.) Very well framed and evocative. k .
This is my favorite couplet:
"The men of sweat and diesel.
The women with calloused hands."
is it weird to say that this reminds me (in a great way) of one of my favorite children's books, Frederick by Leo Lionni? love it.
Nice, I was loving the high tech modern flood poem but it ended a bit too soon. ;)
It did remind me a little of the movie, Evan Almighty: The Building of Noah's Ark (2007). I enjoyed the very excellent animation of that one.
..
Nice, I was loving the high tech modern flood poem but it ended a bit too soon. ;)
It did remind me a little of the movie, Evan Almighty: The Building of Noah's Ark (2007). I enjoyed the very excellent animation of that one.
..
One can hope and pray, but which way? Which way?
One thing I often marvel about in your poetry is the brilliance of your opening lines. This one sets up the whole biblical proportion of your description, all the more poignant when one reads the authentically drawn portraits.
Many of us have surrendered our skills to survive by blood, sweat, and hands. I pray they do save a few of our worthless kind.
Post a Comment