Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Apostasy

In my wilderness, I met a woman
who knew God -
a genteel beauty who chased
the moon at night.
She was silver tongued
from eating ashes,
but I can't pray like that.

I met a man who'd wrestled
with the Devil.
Winning left him with a face
of wax.
He preached safety and salvation
outside the sun.
I can't live like that.

Last, I met a little girl
with a giggle.
She sugared suffering, but didn't claim
it sweet.
It was just the way she'd found
to get the hard stuff down.
Give me that.

I can pray to that.

I can live like that.

For The Tuesday Platform at Real Toads

13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

You create the perfect set up for epiphany, MZ. Such a wonder and a privilege to read your work.

Angie said...

let the little children come to me. we must have faith like these little ones. something so cowboyish about this

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Kerry, this is amazing poetry, MZ!❤️

grapeling said...

I am always humbled when I read your poetry, MZ ~

brudberg said...

The best way to meet the world... so much better devils and Gods. Love it

Gillena Cox said...

After Stanza#2, i giggled, not knowing i would scroll down to meet your giggling girl, and like her too.

much love...

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

And every one of your readers chooses the girl with you.

WildChild47 said...

Evocative and provocative - this has echoes of some of Cohen's words and music - but is wholly unique, of course. And indeed, the line - she sugared suffering - that is a knock it out of the park right into the heavens kind of line - fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Nice tale. ..and there is a relatable truth in it.

said...

I feel the same way.

"Last, I met a little girl
with a giggle.
She sugared suffering, but didn't claim
it sweet."

I love that.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

She sugared the suffering.....and found a way to get the hard stuff down. Brilliant, MZ.

Brendan said...

This apostasy is also a poetics -- right-sized for humane consumption.

annell4 said...

Me too!!!

About Me

My photo
Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor