Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Shakespeare In The Park

My lines

leech the strength from my tongue.
It's sunny at the seams of the night

sewn by smoke break witches -
Do they belong in scene III or V?

All this iambic plays hell with my limbic
system, and my dress is too tight.

What's my cue? I forget. Is it all over yet?
I'm killing Shakespeare in the Park tonight!

For The Tuesday Platform at Real Toads

12 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I don't know if this is autobiographic but I'd pay money to see you perform a Shakespearean witch in the park.

Anonymous said...

Improv witchy shakespeare...I'm in ;)

Angie said...

On the Bard's birthday; his death. Delicious

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Line 6!!! :)

Anonymous said...

So you blow out one more candle for him

Sioux Roslawski said...

I agree with Kerry. I'd love to see you on a stage, playing a Shakespearean witch/*itch/whatever.

Susie Clevenger said...

I once did Shakespeare in the park, a maid. I would have rather been the witch.

grapeling said...

laughing out loud ~

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Laughing out loud too!
"All this iambic plays hell with my limbic
system, and my dress is too tight." = brilliant.
Anna :o]

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I absolutely love this!❤️ It's humorous, fiery and sassy all at the same time! Beautifully done, MZ ❤️

Justin Lamb said...

I like the humor that you portray in this. You also mix in some frustration. Nice job.

said...

There's something so powerful in that opening stand-alone line, "My lines." Something so possessive about it. My eyes blend it with the word above (from the title), creating this command: "Shake! Spear my lines!" ~As if you are the writer, not him.

I love the first three lines of the poem.

That hanging "limbic" makes me think of all sorts of word-play variations ... Limp Bizkit, for example. :) Limp Bic. Lime Bic. Limb Ick. Then it's perhaps followed by a sigh stem.

About Me

My photo
Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor