A girl can dream in this dark, dry womb or die
husk in a husk. The rush
of day / night is tempered here
to a brush
of wings, a scurry
of small things, a sticky web
in the wind. I just came in
to get out
of the weather,
but I stayed
when the sky grew kind.
A girl can find
her own bones
in this heart hewn tomb
and die
to herself
inside.
A quickie for Corey at Real Toads
Friday, June 12, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
15 comments:
Ah, this one hurts -- but still beautiful! Have a lovely weekend, MZ!!
A wonderful piece.. with a touch of melancholy..!
But why would she want to?
I simply love this:
"I just came in
to get out
of the weather,
but I stayed
when the sky grew kind."
I recognize this journey. I, too, love "I stayed when the sky grew kind"......generally, after the dying to oneself, there is a great beating of wings, a rising, and a wheeling turn across the sky. Trust me, I know these things.
"I just came in
to get out"
"but I stayed
when the sky grew kind.
A girl can find
her own bones"
"and die
to herself
inside"
Beautiful writing. Very sensual. You make it sound like it could be a fine thing for a woman to feel alone for the rest of her life.
I like to touch of dark and self discovery.
Ah. I thought of Aida here--very sad really. And real. Thanks. k.
Your words put me there.
Maybe once in the world outside seems worse than life outside. Going in is crossing a border.
Caves are an instinctual place, womb and tomb, shelter and ward: death and dream harrow and hallow its bone stones ... anyhoo, the scat-rhyme rhythm give it a girly feel, pre-pubescent maybe, innocently discovering this unnamable place ("hole in the mountain," indeed). Something encountered that long ago.
This seems to get to the heart of fear, to me--the claustrophobia of perpetual, dark enclosure, a womb where nothing gives birth, or what birth is given is of something frightening/dead. You've worked the metaphor like a well-oiled machine here, sliding us into darkness.
Yes, yes, choosing it once the threat has passed. Got it.
I love your sentiments! "I just came in to get out" Always a power-packed narrow spine you give us. Thanks!
Painful, but spoken in that as a matter of fact tone that is the one true strength of a woman I think. Not sure why this line of thinking has been so prevalent but it has been. Relay gret writing MZ. Really good.
Post a Comment