
image by Merri Melde
"Hell is now in session in Abilene." --- Topeka Commonwealth, 1868
There's a girl
in San Antone.
And, if I ever
make it home
I'll take up prayin'
and buy her a ring
and never breathe a word
about Abilene.
Cause there's a girl
in Abilene
sweet as spring water
and sweet on me.
She lies in clover.
and don't say no.
She don't give a damn
about San Antone.
But, there's a river
that runs between,
red dirt muddy
and rolling mean.
If I go under
between the banks
give my love
and give my thanks
to San Antone
and Abilene.
But, there's a river
that runs between,
red dirt muddy
and rolling mean.
If I go under
between the banks
give my love
and give my thanks
to San Antone
and Abilene.
Note: Abilene, Kansas was an "end of the trail" town for the Chisholm trail cattle drives.
Some Cowboy Poetry for Margaret's prompt at Real Toads

23 comments:
Ah, brilliant, MZ. The song of a true nomad, song of the trail...
hoo baby got a good one here!
Oh.... this is GOOD! Let's hope 'ol Abilene never meets up with San Antone... I hear those gals can be vindictive. ;P
ha. you need to put this to a steel guitar...you might just make the radio mz...
This is just perfect.
I can't stop laughing long enough to get all feminist on you, whether the rambler is a woman or a man . . . 'tis all the same.
I love this poem, especially this part:
"She lies in clover.
and don't say no.
She don't give a damn
about San Antone"
Keep writing cowboy poetry, Kelli!
P.S. I love a girl (or cowboy) who knows how to spell "damn" and use "lies" correctly, even if she says "don't" instead of "doesn't." ;)
There's nothing like a TX cowboy poem! Love this.
Back for another read ... Did you add the third stanza? Was it there all along? Yes, Brian is right. This should be a CW song !
You have the dust in your bandana, and the wind in your face in this one, MZ. A lot of good nights on the Goodnight-Loving trail.
This will make a dainty little song MZ! Throw in a Randy Travis accompaniment and you are on. Brilliant take Ma'am!
Hank
A great one!
You got the words .. I got the tune ~ let's collaborate!!
You nailed it, all the way from Abilene to San Antone, this is one seriously cowboy poem.
I love it.
K
Singing a song of a woman in each town..love it!
This is really nice and as I read it I thought it would make a good country song within a Texas sunset
That's a cowboy for you...:)
Awesome cowboy poetry! I could hear this deep voice narrating it for me in my mind ;-O
What a chameleon you are...a cowboy poem/future song?
Damn good stuff.
I like the way you used these towns as the focus, a real western type of tune approach!
Brilliant and impressive and....well, you
The old west beams through this, Mama Zen.
This is so cool and so cowboy!
Post a Comment