Nothing died today, unlike yesterday,
when I cleaned my daughter's aquarium
and killed every single frog -
Nemo and the snails she had caught at the pond -
all floating
gone.
Nobody cried today, unlike yesterday,
when I confessed
that I am a murderess
with mollusk and amphibian skills fatally flawed.
My angel held in her tears,
so I wouldn't feel guilty and all.
I'm a terrible mom.
A terrible mom.
I have no pride today, unlike yesterday,
when I acted in charge of the world -
until I was taken apart
by a look from a brown-eyed girl
disappointed
that I'm not anointed,
but what can I say?
Nothing died today.
For The Tuesday Platform at Real Toads
Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
14 comments:
Oh dear. There's no sin worse in the eyes of a child than killing a friend. I hope you make it up in time :)
Oh, I can see that look from a brown-eyed girl, but admire her tact in holding in her tears. Motherhood keeps us humble, for sure. And you would not BELIEVE how long their memories are. Smiles. I am still called on the carpet regularly for stuff that happened in 1976.
Yet.
Excellent poem, Kell.
Unintentional, right? Still the guilt...oh, I know guilt. Trust me.
Vulnerable and relatable. Excellent.
This is soo touching, I hope she doesn't hold a grudge for long.
Wow! This is so moving. Day by day childhood dies... but not today.
Damn. So many feels. Well written .
I can picture the tears-about-to-spill-look... and completely understand both, speaker and subject.
Yes, this will be a good topic for 'show and tell 'at school
How my Mom murdered all my pets!
This is moving and honest. put a lump in my throat when reading it.
Oh you captured that look so perfectly...
damn.
sorry. ~
Post a Comment