The last lilt-
ing breath of a bird
fell from its throat
to rest on the curb
in front of my house -
mouse crept from the shed
to nibble the notes
and sing for the dead.
For Poetry Pantry at Poets United
Sunday, May 28, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
15 comments:
This is FANTASTIC. I love how the notes traveled from bird to mouse, and the singing for the dead. Wowzers!
Love the rhymes in this, and I see a dead bird in the grass now...
Damn, Kelli. What the heck?! This is amazing! I am smitten with your brain.
This image is stunning:
"The last lilt-
ing breath of a bird
fell from its throat
to rest on the curb"
Your choice of words is exquisite. A standing ovation from my corner of the world!
This is soo incredibly potent, MZ!
I love bird and curb together and that the mouse nibbled the notes.
A subtle reminder. If a mouse can do it... (remember)
The mouse knew the import of the song...nkm
Fabulous..l
Loved, loved, loved this!
There is a beauty in this snapshot of nature..however harsh we must survive
What a beautiful eulogy to a dead bird.
Blake would swoon to have baked this tune. Who needs jackelopes when you can run with the tygers?
Such a mournful song for the dead, yet you make it sound like a lullaby, somehow, a sad one.
wow
I wish I wrote this. ~
Post a Comment