A girl doesn't get to pick her father.
Her shadow waits
blind at her birthplace,
and her stars are skied.
But I
will not make a fetish of cauls
or small, bad seeds.
A girl doesn't need
to pick her father
if she is father/mother/sister to her self.
For Kerry's prompt at Real Toads. Also submitted to Poetry Pantry.
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Maude Lynn
- Anybody who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. ---Flannery O'Connor
24 comments:
"her stars are skied"
what an inventive and original turn of phrase.
I too was charmed by "her stars were skied."
I adore this. It contains all the wisdom we need to know.
I do think sometimes we have to learn to parent ourselves!
you stated the obvious; and at the same time spewed a profound wisdom.
Good write!
Have a nice Sunday
much love...
oh so so true, and profound - just what i needed to read this morning, thank you
Strangely, this makes sense to me!
Well done.
What an unexpected journey from the title..beautiful
Well this feels unexpected and true--lovely!
Yes, we need to be our own best company. So well expressed here.
Yes, a person so self-reliant will get the most from life. Nicely MZ!
Hank
Yes, as an adult we get to mother /father/ sister ourselves. Tricky but vital.
I was lucky enough to have the most loving father I could ever have had, but the poem is certainly true--so difficult to figure out how to take care of yourself as you would your own child. Thanks, MZ.
I love that concept, like being one's own best friend, only better, deeper, stronger.
K
Lonely but empowering all at once. I like your stars skied...beauty in originality.
Incredible.
perfect ~
powerful and wise I had to learn the love of a father from my daughters.
Deep and profound… Lovely thoughts in a poem.
sadly we do not get to pick our family---what a hard life it is having to be all of that to yourself though...i have known a few kids in that role...
the skiied line is def a very good one....artistry...
… it's the heartache getting "there" that is so tough.
Being all is not how it is supposed to be. A good father is priceless for a girl - but not necessary - the trick is putting the "bad" one behind and moving forward.
Learning to be a parent to ourselves certainly requires skills!
I sometimes wonder how life would have been different had my father not passed away when I was a child ... No dad figure to guide, influence, protect three little girls. Your poetry touched a nerve this morning.
This is such a neat poem with your excellent way of turning an idea on its head and delivering a huge punchline!
Post a Comment